Welcome to the world of anime games, where you can dive into your favorite manga, meet your favorite characters, and live your own anime story! From mobile devices to gaming consoles, and from indie studios to triple-A developers, we’ve got something for everyone. So, grab your controller, your mouse, or your touchscreen as we embark on a whirlwind tour of the best anime games and top anime game genres and how to pick your ideal game.
1. JRPG (Japanese Role-Playing Game): Persona 5 by Atlus
Our first stop on this journey is in the land of JRPGs, home to the critically acclaimed “Persona 5” by the gaming studio Atlus. Persona 5 takes you on a wild ride through the heart of Tokyo, where you’ll encounter compelling characters, a story that’ll have you hooked, and a unique blend of high school life and supernatural adventure.
2. Visual Novel: Danganronpa Series by Spike Chunsoft
Danganronpa is a series that combines detective work with high-stakes drama in a visual novel format. Spike Chunsoft’s ability to create a fascinating and gripping narrative makes it a must-play for anime game enthusiasts, especially if you’re fond of solving mysteries.
3. Action RPG: Nier: Automata by PlatinumGames
Nier: Automata is an action RPG set in a dystopian future created by the experts at PlatinumGames. This game not only shines with intense combat sequences and an immersive storyline but also sports stunning anime-styled characters and environments.
4. Fighting Game: Dragon Ball FighterZ by Arc System Works
For fans of fast-paced, action-packed gaming, Dragon Ball FighterZ is your go-to. This fighting game by Arc System Works lets you battle as your favorite Dragon Ball characters, boasting a gameplay experience that’s as close as you’ll get to being in the anime itself!
5. Strategy RPG: Fire Emblem Series by Intelligent Systems
The Fire Emblem series, a cornerstone of strategy RPGs, lets you command a team of heroes in thrilling turn-based battles. The various titles in this series offer gripping narratives, diverse character rosters, and intense strategy that’ll have you hooked for hours on end.
6. Hack and Slash: Attack on Titan 2 by Koei Tecmo
Based on the renowned anime series, Attack on Titan 2 lets you experience the terrifying yet thrilling battles against the titans. This hack and slash game delivers high-speed action, impressive anime-style graphics, and a captivating storyline.
7. Music Game: Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone by SEGA
Ever dreamed of a rhythm game featuring your favorite anime characters? Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone by SEGA has you covered. This music game features catchy J-pop tunes and endearing anime-styled graphics, sure to get your fingers tapping and heart racing!
8. Puzzle Game: Catherine: Full Body by Atlus
Catherine: Full Body, a puzzle game mixed with visual novel elements, showcases a story of romance and nightmares. This genre-bending game from Atlus combines challenging puzzles with an engrossing narrative, all wrapped up in a stylish anime aesthetic.
9. MMORPG: Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris by Bandai Namco
Step into a vast online world with Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris. This MMORPG developed by Bandai Namco captures the expansive universe and memorable characters of Sword Art Online, providing endless exploration and thrilling combat.
10. Survival Horror: Corpse Party by Team GrisGris
Corpse Party, an indie survival horror game from Team GrisGris, provides a chilling yet enticing experience. Known for its captivating story, pixel-art visuals, and eerie atmosphere, it’s perfect for anime and horror fans looking for something a bit darker.
How to Choose the Best Anime Game for You
Choosing the best anime game for you involves identifying your preferred genre, acknowledging the type of narrative you enjoy, and assessing the art style that appeals to you. When evaluating a game, consider:
- Genres: What type of gameplay do you enjoy? Action-packed battles, strategic decision-making, rhythmic challenges, or puzzle-solving?
- Story and Characters: Do you want a deep, immersive narrative or something light and fun? The plot and characters are often what make anime games truly special.
- Art Style: Each anime game has its unique aesthetic. Do you prefer the classic 2D anime look, or do you lean more towards 3D graphics?
- Device Compatibility: Always check if the game is available on your preferred gaming device.
- Reviews and Ratings: User reviews and ratings give valuable insight into the game’s quality and player satisfaction.
Armed with this guide, you’re ready to delve into the fascinating world of anime games. Whether you’re a fan of JRPGs, fighting games, or even survival horror, the perfect anime game is waiting for you. Now go forth and game on!